Monday, July 28, 2008

Who holds the popcorn when you go to the movies?


My husband Steve and I went with some friends  to see a movie this last weekend.  It was the usual night at the movies... We parked, walked into the theatre discussed what we are going to see, bought our tickets and then stood in  line for our popcorn.  We got our popcorn without butter, although we love the butter it is on our "not now" list.    I am the red vine licorice kind of girl, but have never passed up the chance to eat the popcorn if it is sitting in front of me. 

 Steve purchased the popcorn continued to hold it as we found seats to sit down.    After the previews I began to have the desire to hold the popcorn bag but it never turned into a real need.   Steve on the other hand, simply cannot function throughout a movie if he is not holding the popcorn.  Seriously, he REALLY needs to hold the popcorn. This sequence of events is a ritual every time we are at the movies.

 Throughout the movie I would make a comment to our friends and every time I would notice that the wife was holding the popcorn.  So, the popcorn holder is not gender based  I thought? The entire movie she held the popcorn.  I began to think about when my dad would take me to the movies as a girl and even to this day, how he would always hold the popcorn.  I looked down our aisle occasionally to see if the popcorn bags around us ever moved?  And you know what?  They really didn't.  They all seem to stay with the original popcorn bag hand holder.

 I am wondering if  holding popcorn in the movie signifies  a greater  metaphor about who we are?  Or is it simply a reflection of a partner who may enjoy popcorn more than their movie mate?  

1 comment:

Angela Hart said...

I'll give on who holds the popcorn but I'm pretty inflexible when it comes to who holds the milk duds!

(MT and I are lying in your bed right now. Where are you?)