Friday, August 22, 2008

A deep sadness: Death knows no boundaries


I woke up this morning to an e-mail from our church sharing about the death of 4 year old Joseph Peabody.  Although I had been reading his parents blog over the last six months, it still came as a shock.  And still feeling the heartbreak for Maria Sue and the Chapman family, I dreaded sitting with my thoughts and feelings, trying hard to "just trust God."

Well, it is 10pm and I have concluded that I am not going to figure it out.  There is no book or amount of education that can unravel the mystery within my questions; the all to familiar questions about death.  Even as I write I am still wrestling with the questions:  Why can't death pass over children and seek only the adults?  Why does a child with their whole life ahead of them have to suffer?  Why would God allow a mother and father see their child die before them? For some reason, it is more comprehensible, not easier,  to grieve the death of an adult.  But a child?  Why God?  Why this family?  What is your purpose?  When will your purpose be revealed?  And why not just make a miracle happen, especially for a child.

Such questions will not be answered this side of heaven,  and that is where trust must carry us through these mysteriously devastating times.  So, I sit and pray for the Taafes and Peabodys and petition God's peace and hope upon their hearts.




2 comments:

Angela Hart said...

Just caught up on your blog. Great writing my friend... you are thinking about "heavier things," to quote our beloved Mayer. Meanwhile, I'm all monkey business on my blog. Trade for a bit?

Cadence of Life said...

yes....it just seems to fit right now. are we on for Sunday night? Maybe you can lighten me up?